Darts review: Unicorn Sigma XL Super Pro

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Mezza
The Ton Club

Darts review: Unicorn Sigma XL Super Pro

Post by Mezza »

After coming runner-up in the Grand Slam of Darts prediction competition, my prize has just popped through the door. Thanks again to the organisers and the sponsors.

The darts I chose were the Sigma XL Super Pro 23g, below are some photos of the product. Along with the darts and case, there were a set of shafts, one set of flights and a extra set of points which are ridged, with smooth ones on the darts.

First impressions are great. What's stood out are the size of the flights which are a lot smaller than I am used to using. The shafts that came with the darts have a kind of matt, distressed look to them, having bought a spare set in anticipation of the receiving the darts which are nice and shiny, I am not sure that they're meant to be that way - but I actually quite like them.

I have used the same darts - Harrows Eric Bristow 22g - for about 20 years. A couple of years back, I did win a set of black James Wade 22g, but I couldn't get used to them. I have gone for a slightly heavier dart this time, I am not sure if this will make a big/any difference to me.

I am going to have a throw with my old darts later on, a few legs of 501, bullseye bash and Bob's 27 and then over the next few days compare how I get with these new darts and I will report back on my experience and the general feel of the dart. I don't play competitively, only family and friends so I am probably not going to post my scores.

Has anyone else got these darts?

Twitter: @martinobell
Darts used: 23g Sigma XL Super Pro; 22g Harrows Eric Bristow
Runner-up, 2014 Grand Slam of Darts Prediction Competition
crispy1978
County Player

Re: Darts review: Unicorn Sigma XL Super Pro

Post by crispy1978 »

They look a good set of arrows. I have the black James Wade ones myself which I won in a competition, I'm going reasonably well with them, but I have taken a while to get used to them myself - find the barrels quite thin when ordinarily I would throw with a thicker barrel.
Mezza
The Ton Club

Post by Mezza »

I like the look of the James Wade, especially with a black stem. I was marginally better on doubles with them, but I couldn't score as 'heavily' with them. The novelty of how good they looked wore off though after a couple of defeats to my father-in-law.
crispy1978
County Player

Post by crispy1978 »

Mezza wrote:I like the look of the James Wade, especially with a black stem. I was marginally better on doubles with them, but I couldn't score as 'heavily' with them. The novelty of how good they looked wore off though after a couple of defeats to my father-in-law.
Particularly D20 and D10 I bet? :DDD: :DDD:
Mezza
The Ton Club

Post by Mezza »

Had a few throws with the new darts, I swapped the smooth points with the ridged ones because of my throw. The barrel is wider than I am used to and has a really good grip.

They throw very nicely, land nice a flat although at a slight angle horizontally, although that is becoming less the more I used them.

Threw 5 legs and a bullseye bash with my old arrows and have had two goes at both with these since. My scoring and the bullseye bash are pretty similar, but I have really struggled on the doubles. Will have another go today without the pressure of listening to my beloved Burnley try and hold to on an away win while trying to throw.

If anyone's got any questions, go for it.
Mezza
The Ton Club

Post by Mezza »

Ploughed on with these for a few weeks, but was really struggling to get anywhere close to the 'scoring' with my old darts. I couldn't find any consistency or group the darts. I was on the verge of packing them up, but thought I would give them a go with some standard flights. What a difference it's made.

From the first throw, the horizontal landing of the dart wasn't there - landing in the board nice and straight. After a couple of days, I've already beaten my previous best bullseye bash score twice and scoring as well as with my old darts.

I've never really tinkered with the set up of my darts before, but it's made me think that I will try and few more things.

Return to “Darts Chat & Gossip”